Thursday, April 15, 2010

Men know best

Today Seth and I went hiking. It was a beautiful day. It was in the 70's with a brisk, warm breeze blowing from the south. We followed a small stream for about 45 minutes. After about 20 minutes of hiking I gave up and just walked in the water. Seth was appalled that I was getting wet. He told me numerous times to get out of that cold stream! I told him I'd rather get my feet wet than ALL of me wet. Seth said that was silly, he wouldn't get wet. If you've ever followed a stream you know that you have to criss cross over it many times. Some sides are clear for a few feet and then there's too many fallen logs or brambles so you have to cross to the other side which is usually a bit clearer. Seth jumped the stream, he walked high above the stream on a ridge to avoid the fallen logs, he swung from vines and I plodded through the stream.

Finally, we HAD to cross. The side of the stream we were on was a wall straight up and it disappeared into the stream at the base. There weren't any good logs to cross on. Seth decided to cross by jumping. I was already on the other side cause I just walked thru. Seth backed up as much as possible and started to run towards the babbling brook. He uttered a cry that all southern boys in the Civil War would've been proud of. Seth's feet left the air, and gravity gave a yank. Seth flew three or four feet and I could see the look on his face as he realized he wasn't going to make the opposite bank. He landed in the middle of that stream. I was about 20 feet from him. I couldn't move out of the way fast enough. A tidal wave of mud and water hit me dead on. As soon as I cleared the dripping hair out of my eyes I looked, and there was my poor, pitiful husband standing knee deep in the stream. Water was dripping from his hair, eyelashes and ears. His entire body was soaked. We were laughing so hard we couldn't catch our breath. So much for not getting his FEET wet. (Glad you knew what was best, Honey. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment